The Smith Hotel was one of the finest hotels along the Tn. & Va. Railroad line. It was rebuilt in the late 1800's on the same spot as the original hotel after it burned to the ground around 1883 - 84. Peter Smith was the original owner.
[This is the main entrance of the hotel the original staircase that spans 4 floors has only one step that has been replaced]